Sunday, April 5, 2009

Who Needs a Therapist When You Have a Guitar?

I don't need a therapist, I have a guitar. My guitar is a better therapist for me than any counselor could ever be. It doesn't offer me any advice, it doesn't judge me or tell me to drop my friend because she is not treating me right, it just sits there, patiently in my lap waiting for me to get whatever it is out of my system.

When I have had a particularly good day I will take out my favorite acoustic guitar, a Yamaha, and go to town on it. Playing riff after riff, strumming my heart out, sometimes singing, sometimes not but playing the fast, upbeat music that I love to play so much. Bar chord after bar chord, up and down the neck of the guitar, I play until I am too tired to play anymore. Celebrating the good day that I had with my best friend, my guitar.

When I am sad and shaky I pull out my guitar and put the pick away. I take off my glasses, close my eyes and rest my head on the body. I slowly start to finger pick my way through a series of minor chords and classical riffs that I love and sometimes, if it has been a really tough day I will feel myself cry. But I don't worry about it, because its just me and my guitar and my guitar doesn't judge me, it just plays what I ask it to, no more no less. I do make sure to wipe the tears when I am done, salt and wood-not a good combination.

Who needs a therapist when you have a guitar? Not I. All I need is my six string, my fingers and a chair with no arms to sit on, I can take care of the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment