Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ringtones are More Than A Silly Passtime

Ever call someone and hear the music they play for you while you are waiting for them to answere? There is probably a lot more to the ringtone than you realize. Have you ever thought about what the music says about the person who put it there?

I love listening to ring tones of my friends. They tend to be a perfect indicator of the personality of the person I am calling, but sometimes they really surprise me. For instance I have a friend who is meek and mild and her ring tone is anything but (sorry can't put in print!!) So I asked her about it and what she told me was very indicative of music in general.

She told me that music gives her the chance to escape to the places where she wants to be and live out her dreams through what she listens to and plays. It is her escape into different worlds and be who she wants through what she listens to and what it does for her.

This is not so strange. When I play my guitar and close my eyes it takes me away to whatever place I want to be. Sometimes I'm singing in front of a group of friends, sometimes I am at a beach other times I find my Mom there who is long deceased but music was and always will be our connection. But I digress, wht about those ringtones?

I'm a ringtone junkie, I have seperate ringtones for seperate people. There is a musical message that I want people to hear when they call me. It is my way of musicially connecting with them. So for the love of my life I have a love song, which I change regularily. For my familiy I have a song that my Mom use to play for us on piano playing for them as a sweet reminder of the mother we all loved, for unknown people I have some upbeat happy Abba music and then some of my closer friends have their own tunes as well.

So what does this say about me? Well, I deal with all my relationships indiviudally, I have an eclectic taste in music, I owe the phone company a lot of money for all the tones I buy and I probably spend too much time thinking about this to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment